Friday, September 6, 2013

Three Years Later


Three years ago tonight, I met Jeff for the first time. We talked for hours about life over Baumhower's wings (it might help understand that this was our first date, if you also know we got engaged over ribs at Rendezvous) while watching college football.  I think we knew we were supposed to be together before we even actually fell for each other.  Three years ago, I curtly told Jeff that I wasn't really looking for a relationship and life was good on my own.  I had great friends, a wonderful church family, and a job that I loved (though it kept me overwhelmed).  I'm so, ridiculously thankful that God knew what I needed better than I. 


Our First Picture



Jeff's First SHC Event; I Got Lots of Inquiring Texts that Night

Three years ago tomorrow, I saw Jeff again (and three years ago the day after tomorrow, etc.).  As we began a relationship and even started to talk about marriage, I quickly told him I could not be married.  I told him I'd be a horrible wife and just didn't have it in me.  Honestly, I probably am a horrible wife.  Thankfully God works in me and through me while he's also working in Jeff and through Jeff and a beautiful relationship can occur between two people (one who is very selfish and doesn't really so much have any housekeeping skills).  


The Night Jeff Met Mom - Wicked in Memphis

I read this blog a few years ago posted by a friend of a friend who stated he'd be married to five different women over his lifetime and it couldn't be more true for the two of us.  Jeff didn't even make it to the wedding before he was married to someone different than he proposed.  Life happened and has continued to happen.  I walked down the aisle to a song that declared "we'll say prayers we never thought we'd pray," and we have.  I'm thankful God knows me better than I know myself and continues to give us both grace while teaching us to give grace to each other.  


Our First Halloween


At the SHC Fall Festival in 2011

I'm currently reading A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet and she details how, in her life, God has done immeasurably more than she could have imagined.  I bawled when I read it, because I feel the same way about Jeff in my life.  I'm thankful for what our marriage has taught me about God's love for me.  I'm thankful for what it's taught me about putting the needs of our marriage and of what God has called us to do above my own. I'm thankful for Jeff.  I'm grateful that three years ago tonight, God was at work in both of us to do immeasurably more than we could have imagined.  


Our First Look on our Wedding Day

I selfishly (I'm still learning) hope that the next three years and beyond are more calm than the last three have been, but I'm thankful that Jeff is beside me on the journey.  



At a Cardinals/Braves Game in Atlanta - Summer, 2012



At the Little Rock Farmers' Market - Summer, 2013



3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this. And loved seeing the pictures. I miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Candis! We miss y'all, too! Love seeing your babies growing up! Hope they're having a great year so far!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete